God sought to kill Moses

Brittany
I was reading Exodus and came across these verses and they are really confusing to me. God talks with Moses and tells him to go to Pharaoh and help save His people. And immediately following are these passages. And then after that Moses meets up with Aaron and they go talk to the Pharaoh.

Exo 4:24  And it came to pass by the way in the inn, that the LORD met him, and sought to kill him. Exo 4:25  Then Zipporah took a sharp stone, and cut off the foreskin of her son, and cast it at his feet, and said, Surely a bloody husband art thou to me. Exo 4:26  So he let him go: then she said, A bloody husband thou art, because of the circumcision.

I really don't understand these verses and what they represent. After talking with Moses, was God going to kill him but his wife saved him by throwing some foreskin at him? It all doesn't make sense to me- please help :)

Re: God sought to kill Moses

Jeremy
Brittany,
Thanks for the great question.  We will get right on this one.  Have a great day.

Re: God sought to kill Moses

Jeff and Jeremy
 Brittany,

 Consider for a moment that God was going to use Moses to deliver His people out of the hands of Eygpt and the Pharaoh.  God would then use Moses to write down, and to teach Israel His commandments.  One matter of unfinished business in Moses’ life was that he had forgotten, or ignored, Gods covenant commandment of circumcision!
Now the covenant was established in Genesis chapter 17:10-14 with Abraham was to be for an everlasting covenant in their flesh.
Gen 17:10  This is my covenant, which ye shall keep, between me and you and thy seed after thee; Every man child among you shall be circumcised.
Gen 17:11  And ye shall circumcise the flesh of your foreskin; and it shall be a token of the covenant betwixt me and you.
Gen 17:12  And he that is eight days old shall be circumcised among you, every man child in your generations, he that is born in the house, or bought with money of any stranger, which is not of thy seed.
Gen 17:13  He that is born in thy house, and he that is bought with thy money, must needs be circumcised: and my covenant shall be in your flesh for an everlasting covenant.
Gen 17:14  And the uncircumcised man child whose flesh of his foreskin is not circumcised, that soul shall be cut off from his people; he hath broken my covenant.
These verses in Exodus certainly show the importance of following this covenant commandment.  God was willing to kill him for his disobedience.  How did Zipporah know this?  We can’t really answer this but there are several theories as to why their son was not already circumcised, but the only thing that matters for our learning is that Moses hadn’t followed the commandment and needed to do so immediately.  After it was done all seemed to be restored between God and Moses.  A picture to us that if we have something that we need to make right before God then we need to do it immediately and our relationship will be restored.
I hope this helps and I hope it guides you to finding the truth you are searching for.  Have a great day.

Re: God sought to kill Moses

Brittany
Thank you so much for helping answer my question- I think that you are right on the money with the answer.