Jesus's death

cinderella8
Why did the Pharissees and the Sadusees want to kill Jesus?  What did he do that made them not like him?

Re: Jesus's death

Jeff and Jeremy
The Pharisees along with the Sadducees were the religious leaders of that time.  They had what was called the Sanhedrin which was made up of the Pharisees, Sadducees, and the High priests.  When Jesus began preaching he challenged a lot of what the Sanhedrin believed.

(Mar 3:1)  And he entered again into the synagogue; and there was a man there which had a withered hand.

(Mar 3:2)  And they watched him, whether he would heal him on the sabbath day; that they might accuse him.

(Mar 3:3)  And he saith unto the man which had the withered hand, Stand forth.

(Mar 3:4)  And he saith unto them, Is it lawful to do good on the sabbath days, or to do evil? to save life, or to kill? But they held their peace.

(Mar 3:5)  And when he had looked round about on them with anger, being grieved for the hardness of their hearts, he saith unto the man, Stretch forth thine hand. And he stretched it out: and his hand was restored whole as the other.

(Mar 3:6)  And the Pharisees went forth, and straightway took counsel with the Herodians against him, how they might destroy him.

Notice in verse 5 Jesus is grieved because of the hardness of their hearts.  We can see another example here…

(Mar 7:1)  Then came together unto him the Pharisees, and certain of the scribes, which came from Jerusalem.

(Mar 7:2)  And when they saw some of his disciples eat bread with defiled, that is to say, with unwashen, hands, they found fault.

(Mar 7:3)  For the Pharisees, and all the Jews, except they wash their hands oft, eat not, holding the tradition of the elders.

(Mar 7:4)  And when they come from the market, except they wash, they eat not. And many other things there be, which they have received to hold, as the washing of cups, and pots, brasen vessels, and of tables.

(Mar 7:5)  Then the Pharisees and scribes asked him, Why walk not thy disciples according to the tradition of the elders, but eat bread with unwashen hands?

This shows that the Pharisees were upset that Jesus and his disciples did not follow the laws or traditions held by the Law.
Overall we can see that the Pharisees just didn’t agree with what Jesus was doing.  Jesus tells them that he is the Son Of God.
(Joh 3:16)  For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

(Joh 3:17)  For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

(Joh 3:18)  He that believeth on him is not condemned: but he that believeth not is condemned already, because he hath not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God.

The Pharisees do not agree with this what Jesus was saying or doing and began to seek a way to have Him put to death.  They tried to get false witness against Him, but were unsuccessful.  But here in Mark 14 they felt they had all the reason they needed.

(Mar 14:61)  But he held his peace, and answered nothing. Again the high priest asked him, and said unto him, Art thou the Christ, the Son of the Blessed?

(Mar 14:62)  And Jesus said, I am: and ye shall see the Son of man sitting on the right hand of power, and coming in the clouds of heaven.

(Mar 14:63)  Then the high priest rent his clothes, and saith, What need we any further witnesses?

(Mar 14:64)  Ye have heard the blasphemy: what think ye? And they all condemned him to be guilty of death.

Remember, the Sanhedrin, did not see Jesus as being the Son of God, so when Jesus claimed to be they wanted to stone Him and have Him put to death.  Listen to why the Jews wanted to kill him in the next verses…

(Joh 10:30)  I and my Father are one.

(Joh 10:31)  Then the Jews took up stones again to stone him.

(Joh 10:32)  Jesus answered them, Many good works have I shewed you from my Father; for which of those works do ye stone me?

(Joh 10:33)  The Jews answered him, saying, For a good work we stone thee not; but for blasphemy; and because that thou, being a man, makest thyself God.

So to sum it all up, the Sanhedrin (Pharisees, Sadducees, and High Priests) did not believe that Jesus was the Son of God.  And when He claimed to be, they were offended and wanted to have Him put to death.