So are unicorns real?

Brittany
Isa 34:7  And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness.

Re: So are unicorns real?

Jeff and Jeremy
Brittany,

This is a great question.  We have been looking into this and hope to answer your question soon.  I hope you are having a great week.  Thanks for the question.

Re: So are unicorns real?

Jeff and Jeremy
This was a very interesting question.  When I first saw it I thought “I know that verse” and I was impressed with myself.  Thankfully God, in His humbling ways, showed us that unicorns are actually mentioned 9 times in the Bible.  Numbers 23:22,

Numbers 24:8,  Deuteronomy 33:17,   Job 39:9-10 (2X),  Psalms 22:21,  Psalms 29:6,

Psalms 92:10,  Isaiah 34:7.  God, however, did not stop there.  Upon examining these 9 verses we noticed the word “horn” being mentioned a lot. We will get to that in a minute.

    To physically look at a unicorn, or closest to what was being pictured, we believe is possible by observing a rhinoceros.  Sounds crazy at first but lets think this through.  Why do most people believe that a unicorn is a horse?  I believed that because like most, I was told that from childhood in stories and such.  However, when you research the unicorn from a biblical mind set you will notice that a lot of the mentions talk about the “horn of a unicorn”.  Most of the references refer to the strength of the unicorn.

    When you study out the “horn” in the bible, and I would encourage you to do so, you will find it representing a status of power.   In most places this power comes from God.  It appears that when the unicorn or horn of the unicorn is mentioned, it is speaking of a power over all other powers.  In the Numbers references it speak about Israel coming out of Eygpt having the strength of a unicorn.  Where did their strength come from?  God!

Again we see it  in Psalms 92:8-11,

 92:8-11Psa 92:8  But thou, LORD, art most high for evermore.

Psa 92:9  For, lo, thine enemies, O LORD, for, lo, thine enemies shall perish; all the workers of iniquity shall be scattered.

Psa 92:10  But my horn shalt thou exalt like the horn of an unicorn: I shall be anointed with fresh oil.

Psa 92:11  Mine eye also shall see my desire on mine enemies, and mine ears shall hear my desire of the wicked that rise up against me.

The Psalmist, first acknowledges, the High Authority of God, then he talks about Gods enemies perishing,  and finishes with “But my horn shalt thou exalt like the horn of an unicorn”.  Two things to notice here.  1. See how the horn is a picture  of being exalted?  Notice who exalted him.  God.   2.  Then he goes on to reference it to the horn of an unicorn.  While the horn represents power it appears that the horn of an unicorn represents power over all powers.  Remember the unicorns strength was great.

Job 39:9  Will the unicorn be willing to serve thee, or abide by thy crib?

Job 39:10  Canst thou bind the unicorn with his band in the furrow? or will he harrow the valleys after thee?

Job 39:11  Wilt thou trust him, because his strength is great? ……

In conclusion never forget that this power is given by God.   We believe that God uses the unicorn to picture the strength of His power as the unicorn was immensely strong.  So to answer your question, Yes, unicorns did or do exist, just not in the sense that we grew up believing.  We believe the unicorn that is talked about in the bible is an extremely strong animal that has one horn on its head.  The animal also had to be dwell in a region from Asia to Africa.  Which leads us to our big answer….. The rhinoceros.

Re: So are unicorns real?

Brittany
Thank you so much for answering my question!