What does Matthew 18:20 mean?

Hannah
I have wondered about the meaning of "2 or 3 gathered together in God's name" and if that is implying He is only in the midst of them if it is that certain number?

Re: What does Matthew 18:20 mean?

Jeff and Jeremy
Hannah,
I dont want you to think we forgot about you but Jeff went on vacation so I will be looking into this and getting together with him when he is back.  I hope everything is going well. Have a great week.

Re: What does Matthew 18:20 mean?

Jeff and Jeremy
Hannah,
             I have actually thought countless times the same thing about that verse.  The short answer to your question is God is always with us whether or not another Christian is there does not change that fact.  With that said let me get into the reasons why I believe this is true.

        If we start towards the beginning of this chapter we can see in verse 8 that Jesus is talking about a type of judgment.  Jesus tells the disciples to cut off the hand or foot if they offend thee.  This seems to be a reference to the church being a body.  Jesus is telling them if something or someone is bringing the church down then it is better to let them go then them bring down the rest of the church.

Mat 18:8  Wherefore if thy hand or thy foot offend thee, cut them off, and cast them from thee: it is better for thee to enter into life halt or maimed, rather than having two hands or two feet to be cast into everlasting fire.

        As we keep going we can see in verse 15-17 that Jesus is telling us how we should go about disciplining a church member.

Mat 18:15  Moreover if thy brother shall trespass against thee, go and tell him his fault between thee and him alone: if he shall hear thee, thou hast gained thy brother.
Mat 18:16  But if he will not hear thee, then take with thee one or two more, that in the mouth of two or three witnesses every word may be established.
Mat 18:17  And if he shall neglect to hear them, tell it unto the church: but if he neglect to hear the church, let him be unto thee as an heathen man and a publican.

        In verse 19 Jesus tells us that when 2 or 3 of us gather to make a decision for the church and we ask the Father then it will be done.  He goes on in verse 20 to reinforce that if we together agree upon something and ask the Father then he will be with us in our decision.

Mat 18:19  Again I say unto you, That if two of you shall agree on earth as touching any thing that they shall ask, it shall be done for them of my Father which is in heaven.
Mat 18:20  For where two or three are gathered together in my name, there am I in the midst of them.

        To sum it all up we believe we are being told that if the church asks the fathers help in a matter of church discipline then he will be with there decision.

        We hope this helps and once again I’m sorry for taking so long to get this to you.  If you have any more questions just let us know.  Have a great weekend.

Re: What does Matthew 18:20 mean?

bro.ken
Hannah
   j&j have give you the correct interpation of this passage, most christen take v.18-19 out of contex and change  the subject to praying there wrong because if you will read on in 21-22 Peter ask Jesus about how many times he is two forgive a person in a day 7 times Jesus repile is 7X70 so were are still talking about forgiveness or there not being forgiven. when Jesus was teaching he didn't jump from one subject to another then back again. me and you don't know one another but spiritual I see you as a student of Jesus because you don't take man word when it comes to god word I commend you keep up the good work

                              p.s. JESUS IS LORD