What does it mean that the righteous will live by faith?

What does it mean that the righteous will live by faith?

Hannah
My Bible teacher at school was discussing this with us and I wondered what you thought. It's from Romans 1:18, and I think there are two different meanings it can have. Thanks! :)

Re: What does it mean that the righteous will live by faith?

Jeff and Jeremy
Hannah,
Thanks for the question.  Jeff and I are getting to work on this and hope to have an answer very soon.  Thanks again.

Re: What does it mean that the righteous will live by faith?

Jeff and Jeremy
What does it mean that the righteous will live by faith?

(Rom 1:17)  For therein is the righteousness of God revealed from faith to faith: as it is written, The just shall live by faith.

First lets make sure we are all on the same page as to how the bible defines faith.  Look at Hebrews chapter 11:1-3

(Heb 11:1)  Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen.

(Heb 11:2)  For by it the elders obtained a good report.

(Heb 11:3)  Through faith we understand that the worlds were framed by the word of God, so that things which are seen were not made of things which do appear.

So we see that faith is “the substance of things hoped for”  remember that for later.  Lets stroll through some of this chapter.

(Heb 11:4)  By faith Abel offered unto God a more excellent sacrifice than Cain, by which he obtained witness that he was righteous, God testifying of his gifts: and by it he being dead yet speaketh.

NOTICE Abel , by faith,  “obtained witness that he was righteous”

(Heb 11:6)  But without faith it is impossible to please him: for he that cometh to God must believe that he is, and that he is a rewarder of them that diligently seek him.

NOTICE   “without faith it is impossible to please him: for he that cometh to God must believe that he is,”

(Heb 11:7)  By faith Noah, being warned of God of things not seen as yet, moved with fear, prepared an ark to the saving of his house; by the which he condemned the world, and became heir of the righteousness which is by faith.

NOTICE Noah, by faith, “, being warned of God of things not seen as yet, moved with fear, prepared an ark to the saving of his house”

(Heb 11:8)  By faith Abraham, when he was called to go out into a place which he should after receive for an inheritance, obeyed; and he went out, not knowing whither he went.

NOTICE  Abraham, by faith, “he went out, not knowing whither he went.”

(Heb 11:10)  For he looked for a city which hath foundations, whose builder and maker is God.

NOTICE Abraham, by faith,  “looked for a city….. whose builder and maker is God”

(Heb 11:13)  These all died in faith, not having received the promises, but having seen them afar off, and were persuaded of them, and embraced them, and confessed that they were strangers and pilgrims on the earth.

(Heb 11:14)  For they that say such things declare plainly that they seek a country.

(Heb 11:15)  And truly, if they had been mindful of that country from whence they came out, they might have had opportunity to have returned.

(Heb 11:16)  But now they desire a better country, that is, an heavenly: wherefore God is not ashamed to be called their God: for he hath prepared for them a city.

NOTICE  verse 13 is the key.  “but having seen them afar off”  they did not see with physical eyes what God had for them ,  but they knew it was awesome.  They “were persuaded of them,  and embraced them,”  (what was promised to them).    “…confessed that they were strangers and pilgrims on the earth.”

Watch this:         (Heb 11:16)  But now they desire a better country, that is, an heavenly: wherefore God is not ashamed to be called their God: for he hath prepared for them a city

They did not see this “heavenly city” but they lived for it!

Back to Romans 1:17   For therein is the righteousness of God revealed from faith to faith: as it is written, The just shall live by faith.

Faith in what?

Look back at verses 15 & 16.

(Rom 1:15)  So, as much as in me is, I am ready to preach the gospel to you that are at Rome also.

(Rom 1:16)  For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to everyone that believeth; to the Jew first, and also to the Greek.

Faith in the gospel of Christ unto salvation!   Verse 17 “for therein” where?  “in the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation..”

We haven’t seen Heaven, but we hope for it.  We are pilgrims on this earth.  And by this “faith” we are justified, and like those in mentioned in Hebrews, we obtain a witness of righteousness in Christ.  And therefore, we, who are justified in Christ, shall live by faith.

If you follow the different stories from above you can see what these different people did to live by faith.  It can be as simple as believing in God’s word or believing he will always be there for you.  I really hoped this helped if you have any more questions do not hesitate to ask.  Have a great week.