Women covering hair in prayer?

AllforHisglory
I was reading 1 Corinthians:11 the other day and read about how when a women prays she needs to have her head covered or she needs to get her head shaved- why do we not practice this today if it is in the Bible?

Re: Women covering hair in prayer?

Jeff and Jeremy
             I think this is a great question.  To get a better understanding of what Paul was talking about we need to look at the customs during that time.  The veil was symbolizing a few different things.  First it symbolized that you were married and second it showed that you were not a prostitute.  If a woman was to be un-veiled at church it would be an embarrassment to the husband because it shows one of a few things.  Either she is being disobedient to her husband as the head of the house or she is declaring herself available to other men or she has decided to become a prostitute.  Now that we see why women wore veils lets look at what Paul is really talking about here.  Paul says in 1Co 11:3  “But I would have you know, that the head of every man is Christ; and the head of the woman is the man; and the head of Christ is God.”  When we read this verse we are seeing that Paul is showing and reminding us that there is a hierarchy we should be following.  The woman should glorify her husband, 1Co 11:7 “… forasmuch as he is the image and glory of God: but the woman is the glory of the man.”, and the man should glorify Christ and Christ will glorify God.

        It is also important to see that just because there is a hierarchy it does not mean the man is better than the woman.  According to 1Co 11:12, “For as the woman is of the man, even so is the man also by the woman; but all things of God.”, we can clearly see that Paul agrees that the women and men mean the same thing to God.  Also noticing in Gal 3:28, “There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither bond nor free, there is neither male nor female: for ye are all one in Christ Jesus.”

        So to answer the question of, “Why do we not practice the covering of heads of women any more?”, we see here that Paul is simply using a custom of that time period to show a spiritual truth.  The veil in today’s terms would be the same as our wedding rings.  If a person was to not wear there wedding ring people could think that you were available or perceive you as dishonoring your spouse.  I hope this answers your question please remember that we always encourage to study this out more your self and that this may give you a starting point.  Have a great day.

Re: Women covering hair in prayer?

AllforHisglory
Thanks so much guys! That really clears up that question for me- I will be sure to post any future questions here! Thanks and remember, it's all for His glory!