what does observing days, months, and times, and years mean in this context?

what does observing days, months, and times, and years mean in this context?

Brittany
I read this verse today and was wondering what he is referring to in 4:10-

Gal 4:9  But now, after that ye have known God, or rather are known of God, how turn ye again to the weak and beggarly elements, whereunto ye desire again to be in bondage?
Gal 4:10  Ye observe days, and months, and times, and years.

Re: what does observing days, months, and times, and years mean in this context?

Jeff and Jeremy
Brittany,
This is a great question.  I believe the best answer for this question can be found in the following verses…

Col 2:13 and you, being dead in your sins and the uncircumcision of your flesh, hath he quickened together with him, having forgiven you all trespasses;
Col 2:14  Blotting out the handwriting of ordinances that was against us, which was contrary to us, and took it out of the way, nailing it to his cross;
Col 2:15 and having spoiled principalities and powers, he made a shew of them openly, triumphing over them in it.
Col 2:16 Let no man therefore judge you in meat, or in drink, or in respect of a holyday, or of the new moon, or of the sabbath days:
Col 2:17 which are a shadow of things to come; but the body is of Christ.

The Jews celebrated these different “days, months, times, and years” like the new moon or the Sabbath days, as written in the law. When Paul talks about Christ blotting out the handwriting of ordinances that was against us and being nailed to the cross he is showing us that when Christ died for us he also took the law with him.  As we keep reading you see Paul is not saying you should not practice the law.  He is saying that you are no longer justified by the law and if you’re not justified by the law why would you want to go back to being under the curse of the law.

Gal 3:10 For as many as are of the works of the law are under the curse: for it is written, Cursed is every one that continueth not in all things which are written in the book of the law to do them.
Gal 3:11 But that no man is justified by the law in the sight of God, it is evident: for, The just shall live by faith.
Gal 3:12 And the law is not of faith: but, The man that doeth them shall live in them.
Gal 3:13 Christ hath redeemed us from the curse of the law, being made a curse for us: for it is written, Cursed is every one that hangeth on a tree:

Paul is simply saying that if we are not justified by the law then why would we want to return to living under the law.  In conclusion to your question the “days, months, times, and years” are simply the different holydays and times observed in the law.  I hope this helps and I hope it guides you to finding the truth you are searching for.  Have a great day.

Re: what does observing days, months, and times, and years mean in this context?

Eric Robinson
I dont agree with the answer you were given that this was blotting out Holy Days!  Galations 8 - says they did service to them that by nature were not gods , these are men.  Galations 9 "elements" in strongs concordiance #4747 - refers to the way it is used here is "commandments of men". Therefore Paul is saying howbeit you fall back into the set doctrines and commandments of men rather than obey God's? For these men are not gods!  Matthew 15:2-3  the pharasees ask Jesus why do you break the traditon of the elders? and Jesus asked them "Why do you break the Commandments of God by your traditons?  Deut 18:10 even talks about observing time and such witchcraft.  So, this is and old spirit of rebellion that has been around for centuries and occurred in Jesus's time on earth and after He left, Paul delt with the same spirit.  We have it today, this may be hard for you to hear but what is christmas, easter, holloween, birthdays,new years day, ect? Are they undoubtedly not oberserving days, months, and times and years? And these holidays were never once spoken of in the Bible! They were never once told how to conduct or carry out.  New years is shouted out at a specific time, birthdays honor and glorify one's years, others a specific day. So to apply that to God's Holy Days means you would be as a Jehova Witness and celebrate nothing, because how can you apply it to His and not your holidays?  This subject now is the same exact then. Paul would walk into a christain church and ask "Why do you observe the times and traditions of men and forsake God's?" Remember John in Revelation prophesies of the saints keeping the Commandments and speaks of the saints celbrating the Feast of Trumpets.  I want to be one of the saints!